The Missionaries of the Poor are always seeking men who wish to answer Our Lord’s invitation to serve the poor. Members of the Missionaries of the Poor take four vows: (1) poverty, (2) chastity, (3) obedience and (4) free service to the least. To learn more about the life of the order, simply contact us.
As you begin the journey of discerning your vocation, be assured that you are not left to yourself. The Missionaries of the Poor provides a comprehensive formation program that includes the opportunity to experience the life of brotherhood, a rigorous theological and spiritual training program and years of hands-on experience in our work. This formation consists of five stages:
1. Aspirancy (6 months to 1 year): New vocations begin with one year of introduction to the life and work of the Missionaries of the Poor. This period of formation takes place at the MOP mission in your home country. The goal of this period is simply to assist you in discerning whether God is calling you to serve Him with us.
2. Postulancy (6 months): Formation continues as you continue to test your vocation to religious life. If you grow in your conviction that the religious life is in fact God’s will for you, postulancy ends and you remove to the Institute’s headquarters in Kingston, Jamaica to continue formation.
3. Novitiate (2 years): The first year (canonical) of the Novitiate emphasizes prayer and contemplation and includes a 40 day retreat. The second year (apostolical) emphasizes the work or apostolate of the Missionaries of the Poor.
4. Juniorate (6 years): At the end of the Novitiate, temporary vows of six years is made. During these three years, brothers in formation continue to grow in the knowledge of the mission and works of the Institute.
5. Seniorate (life): With the approval of the Institute, brothers in formation may be admitted to perpetual profession, that is, vows for lifetime service.
DID YOU KNOW?
MOP formation includes a comprehensive program in theological and biblical studies? Brothers receive over 5 years of college-level instruction in every area of basic skills, spirituality, prayer, philosophy and theology needed for the life of a Missionary of the Poor.
| M.O.P. LIFE
As a Missionary of the Poor, you will live a partially cloistered life in simplicity with a set schedule of daily prayer, work and study